Saturday, January 29, 2011

Snickerdoodles and my dad Danny

Today is my dad's birthday,  the day each year that my siblings and I make snickerdoodles. Almost every Sunday when I was growing up we would make homemade cookies. I was the oldest and the chief cookie maker. I would ask Mom what size batch I should make...she would say a single batch and then daddy would grin and say...make it a triple:) He tweeked the original recipe to include vanilla and decided that precisely 7 minutes was the perfect time for the perfect snickerdoodle. I have honored him this day with the perfect batch of cookies!


We have continued to tweek the recipe-using half shortening & half butter and I doubled the amount of vanilla, but I still cannot eat a snickerdoodle without seeing my dad grin and say ...triple the batch:)
Snickerdoodles

Pre-heat oven to 400
Cream together:
1 cup of shortening OR 1/2 cup shortening & 1/2 cup of butter (my preference)
1 1/2 cup of sugar
2 eggs

Blend in:
2 tsp vanilla (daddy's addition!)
2 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt

Add:
2 3/4 cups flour

Roll into balls the size of large walnuts 
Dip into mixture of 2 tsp cinnamon & 2 Tbsp sugar
Bake 7 minutes (Daddy's preference)


 Dad has been gone for many years, leaving this earth when he was but 46 years old. He wasn't a flashy guy but he was steady and hardworking, and I knew he loved me. He was an all state football player that walked home 7 miles after football practice in high school. He loved serving in the church, quotes, football, working on the pool, going on dates with my mom, and watching his first little grandchildren play. He did not believe in giving up and was tenacious in his moral beliefs. I learned honesty by example and have had many doors opened to me just because I was Danny's daughter.

I have some of his things that I treasure and actually use... his old 8 track tape box has become my receipt box. He was an accountant and I am not quite so organized with my records- but I try!



I have his old briefcase that I use for my Nellie's Cottage file box. 
This briefcase spent many, many years in dedicated, behind the scenes church service. 
It reminds me who should come first in my life.


Best of all is a copy of his handwritten book of quotes he collected through the years.
I keep this at my scrapbook desk for inspiration.

I still miss my dad. He left me a good name and an example of moral living for which I will always be grateful. I often wonder what he thinks of me and if I turned out the way he'd hoped. He always told me "Kimberly, I have tried to do things better than my parents and I expect you to do things better than me." I told my children the same so......somewhere down the road I should have perfect posterity:)








Here's to Neil Diamond, Herb Albert & the Tijuana Brass, camping trips, bluebell ice cream, & triple batches of snickerdoodles!
Happy Birthday Daddy... I love you

4 comments:

  1. I celebrated Daddy's birthday with a huge (probably 10 lb) homemade banana pudding. I have many great memories of dad as Kim stated. Thanks Kim for your sweet words about dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted this recipe. I remember after having Aubrey, you came over and brought a batch of these for us. They were absolutely delish! Can't wait to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never eaten snickerdoodles until I moved to the Mid West. I was taught to make them using Crisco Oil instead of butter or shortening.

    ReplyDelete