Friday, February 18, 2011

What have I done with Nellie's name?

   I was cruising down the freeway last week when I came up behind someone going slow in the fast lane.  There is a great Gary Larson cartoon that puts these people in hell next to murderers & thieves. This may seem a bit harsh to those of you who like to drive slow... but it is "spot on" for those of us who were born with really heavy feet! Really, it is not my fault. I inherited the family curse, my brothers hold records for driving time to Utah and other far away places. 
We pride ourselves on being fast but good drivers...well most of us:)

   Anyway back to the story...I was just about to blow past the car and cut them off, letting them know they shouldn't have been there in the first place...
WHEN I REMEMBERED....
I remembered that I am now sporting Nellie's Cottage signs on my car. 
 I slowed down, found another way around, and smiled nicely as I passed in a very civilized manner:) I started thinking about the implications of advertising on my car. I am using my grandmother's name. She never even drove a car and I am quite certain that she would have driven sweetly! 
Nellie about 1941
1950's
1970's
late 1980's

   A story came to my mind that had made an impression on me as a young girl. A young man had a dream in which his deceased grandfather  (for whom he was named) appeared to him and said "I would like to know what you have done with my name?"  The young man responded "I have never done anything with your name of which you need be ashamed."
I wonder how differently the world would be if we were those kind of parents, grandparents, and children. The kind of people that would never do something to shame ourselves or others.

   And so I began to drive more sweetly, 
(my brothers will be rolling their eyes about now)
 gently passing, smiling as I passed, and watching my speed in case some nice  scrapbooker or quilter should see my sign and pass judgement on the cottage. 
   Sadly, this sweet style of driving only works when I have the signs on the car. A couple of days ago I came upon another car going slow in the fast lane. I remembered that I DID NOT have my signs on the car and happily blew past him making sure he felt my fury. It is like I have a good or bad driving angel on my shoulder depending on whether the signs are on my car!

On a more serious note-WHAT AM I doing with Nellie's name? 
I just got the best comment on facebook today- 

"I absolutely love Nellie's Cottage and everything it means!" 
Thank you Ashley:) 

I hope that the "and everything it means"
is love of family, home, all things good, honor, integrity, kindness and generosity.
 I hope that Nellie loves what I have done with her home.
I hope that all who enter will leave as friends and feel a spirit of  warm hospitality that Nellie exemplified.

 I also hope that someday I will want to drive sweetly all the time with or without the Nellie's Cottage signs on my car:)

So....what have you done with your name?

2 comments:

  1. I really liked This post. Such a good message.
    Jake has thought the same thing before with byu around our license plate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very good story. I feel the same way with being a doctors wife. I'm sure you know exactly what I mean. I feel it is important being at your best and acting your best around everyone whether you are at the grocery store, mall, or anywhere. Because somewhere, when you least expect it, someone will say, "aren't you Dr. Bell's wife?". So you just never know!

    Kristine Bell

    ReplyDelete