Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Mother's Story-the winner of my Nellie's Cottage retreat!

With permission, I share the submission that my children all chose independently and without consulting each other --amazing! Here is her story...



Motherhood means more to me than life itself.

I had my first child 20 years ago, then a second 2 years later. Being a mother was great then, but I was young...so what did I know?

Three years ago I decided to start over and have another child.  My current husband is 6 years younger than I am and did not have any children.  He wanted a son so badly...and I knew that I could not keep the joy of being a parent from him.

I thought being a mother was great back then, but now that I am older, I realize just how wonderful it truly is....EVERYDAY!

Last year, at age 39, I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I was the twelfth female on my mother's side to have been diagnosed, with all eleven prior to me, passing away from it.  So imagine the fear I had...leaving my, then, 2 year old, without a mother.  All I could think about is all the things I would miss out on, not being here with him, missing his birthdays, baseball games, watching him grow up.  I cried myself to sleep many nights, the thought of being without him.

My son is what gave me the strength to fight and survive!  Seeing him smile, hearing him say "I love you to the moon and back"...these little things kept me going.  I never let him see me sick while going through chemotherapy or radiation. I pulled it together because of him!

Now in remission, I look at life in an entirely different way.  I never take his smile, his kiss, his hug for granted. I ALWAYS stop what I am doing, to make time to spend with him.  The little things that once annoyed me...spilled milk, crushed cookies in the carpet, toys all over the house..no longer bother me.  Now I feel lucky that I have a special little person in my life that makes those little messes.  And I know, after experiencing an entire year of battling, that I would much rather be here cleaning up his messes, then missing out on them altogether.

Motherhood means life to me....literally.  I wouldn't trade being a mommy, starting over again, for anything in this world.  I love this little boy "to the moon and back"!

Janina King
Proud mother of Bret (3), Randi (18), Chaz (20)



Janina won a free retreat with up to 8 guests!


I had the children chose 2nd and 3rd choices and these mothers win a free night...
Tracie Wood, Leah Wade, Andrea Washington, Becky Fruge, Rebecca Fabre


I loved the one from Carol about her relationship changing with her son as he became an adult---I can relate to this as I have had 4 children become adults in the last few years...Carol you have a free night too:)

No comments:

Post a Comment