Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Nellie's Nest, retreat accommodations for 4

At long last all the touch ups are completed on
Nellie's Nestour upstairs apartment!
 Well, I say completed...my husband can tell you
 I am never truly finished tweaking decor:)
This apartment was built in 1949 by 
Papa Albert and my Aunt Helen. 
Aunt Helen and apartment
Many people have lived in this small apartment-- 
school teachers, newlyweds, college kids, and family.
 It has been called the "Tree House" and the "Love Shack":)

My daughter and her husband lived here a few months as newlyweds 
When I bought the property in 2009 we had 
the building raised 3 feet so we could 
add the bottom apartment. 
The original building was pier and beam and 
constructed from pine trees on the property.
 What a project! 
One man and 3 tiny, scrappy women lifted 
this building up so we could pour a slab.





I thought Nellie's Nest would be a fun name for the upstairs apartment. I was inspired by some vintage quilt panels my Aunt Betty gave me. I added interfacing to make the panels stiff and put them in some of my old 1980's frames... one should never be too hasty to throw things away:) I added twine to the back with duck tape (yes, really!) and hung the pictures at random heights around the room.




Once I have my decorating inspiration I am off and running!  The decor is from here and there with a bit of re-doing. 
I give you Nellie's Nest!




The blue pot belonged to my Grandmother Nellie

Originally white and oak, this table from my mom has layers of red, brown and bronze paint.


We have 4 twin beds in 2 different rooms.



Birds & flowers on the cozy front porch






So there you have it...
Nellie's Nest a cozy place up by the treetops for a 
Bed & Breakfast, Girlfriend getaway, Retreat, 
or just a night alone! 



1 comment: