Thursday, August 18, 2011

Inspiration...anyone?

My grandmother Nellie always shared whatever she had...flowers, vegetables, hand crochet, meals, inspiration, and love. 


This week I am being inspired...may I share with you what I am learning?


Once a year BYU opens it's doors to the public for education week.
I have always wanted to attend but alas our school has always 
started that week and I never wanted to miss the first day of school with the kids.


Empty nest perk number one...education week here I come! 


This is the face I really came to see:)


My girls joined me in classes this week


It is so hard to choose classes! 
These are some that I did not choose for various reasons:)

*Entitlement and How It Snares our Kids 
  (We sent our kids to a college with this motto "Enter to Learn, Go Forth to Serve" :)


*Square Foot Gardening
(my strawberries & bell peppers already died)

*Developing Strength to overcome Life's Challenges
  (I simply eat chocolate)


*Legal Ethics in Business Transactions
(my dad taught us that taking so much as a pencil from work was stealing)


*Ending Carbohydrate cravings 
(I am on vacation and didn't want to hear this now)


*Making the Old testament come Alive
 (I woke up at 5:30 for a whole year to learn this in Seminary)


*How all Addictions "Hijack" the Brain
(I am happy with my chocolate hijacker!)


*Marriage-Building Love that Lasts 
(29 years and I still believe in the phrase for better or for worse)



From Family to Business, Retirement Finances to Christians in Egypt,
this is a wonderful week of learning.

The following are the notes from the classes I did attend.
These are my notes on the first class. 
I will continue to add to this post as the days go by--a series of sorts.

Day 1


Influencing a Change of Heart 
without the Use of Criticism(especially in marriage)

People don't change people! People change themselves or are changed by the Holy Spirit.


Criticism is more likely to kill the desire for change than to inspire it.

Ask yourself when thinking of faults in your spouse...
Did he get everything he wanted in me? (ouch!)


We are modeling marriage to our children and therefore our grandchildren. 

Before we make a comment, STOP and ask..
How will this make my spouse feel?


Humility trumps communication skills!

We need to have a triangle of love;
Love of Christ
Love from Christ
Love like Christ

God's love produces growth and change, and loving our
 spouse in that way produces growth and change in them:)


And that is the miracle we are all hoping for...
p.s. they are hoping the same thing in us:)




The Art of Under-Reacting!


I sent my hubby this picture with a text "Going to this class is like me giving you flowers!"
I love the movie "Father of the Bride" where the father (Steve Martin) is explaining to his daughter that she comes from a family of "over-reactors." I have a bit of that family history:)
 I took a great deal of comfort to see that this class was full! 
Here are my notes...

Who would you be without your problems?
WHO WOULD YOU BE WITHOUT THE PROBLEMS OF OTHERS?

Ask yourself WHEN and WHY do you FREAK OUT?
Usually it is a result of worry, panic, the need to blame.

Reasons we FREAK OUT...
We are already stressed out
It is a veiled form of showing concern
We want to demonstrate seriousness
We have an addiction to drama

The solution...the three A's
*ASK
*ASSESS
*ACT

1. ASK
What can I really control?
Is stressing really helping?
What is the worse that can happen if I let go?
What message am I sending by reacting this way?
Am I acting out of fear?

2. ASSESS
Do I take active or passive action?
If passive then I am only to monitor the situation, if active then take APPROPRIATE action.

3. ACT
Remove yourself, untangle yourself
Expect the best
Change it-lead with love. 
You may not be able to fix the problem, 
but you may find a way to help something surrounding the problem.
Give it away-ask the Savior to be your partner.

Under-reacting gives you more peace, leads to more faith, and opens yourself to miracles to solve the problems.


I think I can, I think I can, I think I can......





Seeking harmony
Finding Peace in a Busy Life


Life is a symphony and you are the composer, orchestrator, director, and performer.

Creating personal energy is part of finding peace.
*Physically taking care of yourself
*Social activity
*Energy creating thoughts-positive
*Spiritual renewal-top priority

Don't get bitten by A.N.T.S.
Automatic Negative ThoughtS

Your thoughts with focus and prayer CAN BE KEPT UNDER CONTROL!


Things to increase our energy
*There is power in apologies-especially in marriage
*Novel experiences create energy and slow time down
I have been with my grandbaby all week and she has so much energy because life is so new and interesting to her!
*Spiritual experiences
*Using your gifts to bless others
*Organizing your life into Must, Should, Nice to do, Can be done anytime

Seek for quality time in the crossroads of the day--meal times, bedtime, going and coming from the home.


Bundling is a wonderful concept of doing 2 things in Harmony such as taking a walk with your spouse
(exercise AND bonding time.
(This should not be confused with my extreme multi tasking-doing 15 things at once and feeling fragmented and stressed!


Do less
*Voluntary simplicity
*Reduce activities okay...laundry, cooking, grocery shopping, pulling weeds...:)
*Let go of material things (I love making a goodwill run-it feels so good!)
*Outsource  I am always in the market for a pool and yard guy--hubby is not:(
*Focus on priorities
*Learn how to say no kindly


I have MUCH to do to organize, simplify, and focus on priorities to find peace in my busy life!... Isn't that ironic:)








2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing some of your notes! It is an awesome week and I'm so glad you got to go. You totally deserved this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, Thanks so much for sharing your notes. A lot of interesting, thought provoking information. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete