Monday, October 10, 2011

Cowboy Bisquits

 I love these biscuits! 
They have the bragging rights of a yeast roll 
with the convenience of a biscuit. 


I love these biscuits! They have the bragging rights of a yeast roll with the time convenience of a biscuit. 

This recipe came from an old church recipe book and was submitted by a famous and formidable woman known in the community for her fierce loyalty to family, and outspoken nature.  She was tough as nails!
Don't worry the biscuits are not:)


Once you have a good dough you can make any variety of delicious temptations. 
I never make biscuits unless I am catering a retreat, or having company.
Some of us can't resist such a temptation:)


The possibilities are endless, but first the basic recipe:


Cowboy Biscuits
1pkg yeast
1 cup warm water
2 cups buttermilk
3/4 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
6 cups flour


Dissolve yeast in warm water
This always makes me nervous-if the water is too warm it kills the yeast.
 If the water is too cool the yeast won't be activated. So make your best guess:)


Add sugar, oil and buttermilk
Yeast loves sugar so that goes in first! I keep buttermilk powder on hand for baking.


Combine flour, soda, baking powder, & salt
Honestly with the yeast, soda, and baking powder if these things don't rise......
it is not the recipe's fault!
Tip for flour-don't dip the measuring cup into the flour container, it packs the flour. 
Spoon the flour into the measuring cup for lighter biscuits.
The dough will be a bit sticky so you can be generous with the flour as you roll the dough and cut the biscuits.


*The beauty of these biscuits is no time spent waiting for the dough to rise!


Bake about 25 minutes at 350*
I set my timer for 20 minutes and usually declare them perfect.




Biscuits and Country gravy with bacon bits

I often cheat and use the Pioneer Country gravy mix and add real bacon bits. Don't tell my brother, he is a master gravy maker... ALWAYS from scratch!

Ham & Cheese Roll Ups

Once you roll the dough anything can be sprinkled on top!
Here is mesquite ham and cheddar cheese.
Carefully roll the dough into a log and slice into pieces with a sharp knife.

My sister converted me to baking stones-they are wonderful!
Serve warm with a bit of honey for dipping or a side of raspberry jam for a "Monte Cristo" taste.

Cinnamon Rolls

I divided one batch of dough and made half with ham & cheese and half as cinnamon rolls. Melt 1/2 stick of butter and decorate the dough with brown sugar and cinnamon:)



If you could resist such a beautiful creation please call me personally! My icing is never the same twice. I overloaded this batch with vanilla for a rich flavor. I usually start with 1/2 stick of melted butter, 1-2 cups of powdered sugar and 1-2 Tablespoons of milk, and always vanilla...sometimes 1 teaspoon and sometimes 3:)




If it is true that the way to a man's heart is food, then these biscuits should be at the top of your recipe priority list:)

I would add that such culinary creations also make you the most popular mother on the block...at least until they are gone!


Enjoy these related posts!

Nellie's magical biscuit bowl
https://nelliescottageretreat.blogspot.com/2014/07/nellies-magical-biscuit-bowl.html

San Jacinto Biscuits

https://nelliescottageretreat.blogspot.com/2015/01/san-jacinto-biscuits.html











No comments:

Post a Comment