Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Innocence of Halloween

I miss the days when Halloween was a child's holiday. When you dreamed for months which character you wanted to be, when costumes were homemade and not so scary. I am sad that adults have taken over and spoiled what used to be a fairly innocent holiday. I am appalled at the raunchy and revealing costumes that some wear in public. I wish we could turn back the clock to my childhood "Trick or Treating" memories where you could canvas whole neighborhoods because you trusted everyone.
Oh, I know "Harvest Parties" are fun, but I do miss being able to say Halloween without my neighbors raising an eyebrow. When I think of Halloween my mind conjures up ballerinas, ninja turtles, cowboys and clowns. I do admit to loving cute little green and purple witches with funny hats.
Just one night of the year children and adults can be anyone they want.....why are some choosing the evil and the dark side? I wonder if I am the only one who misses the real Halloween, the one just for children?

The Innocence of Halloween.
Photo circa 1988

ps. Halloween came after this post and obviously my children don't share my notalgia! This year my daughter, son-in-law and grandbaby were skeletons, my youngest daughter a gangster, my oldest son a vampire, and my son & his beautiful pregnant wife were zombies.........on my..... so much for Halloween innocence!



p.s. You may enjoy "A Halloween love story!"
http://nelliescottageretreat.blogspot.com/2011/10/halloween-love-story.html

2 comments:

  1. my kids are BYU cheerleaders and ball players, their pick, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Halloween and it is a complete kidfest at the Long House! Huge children's carnival in the back yard annually... and I don't care who raises their eyebrows at our fun :)

    ReplyDelete