Monday, November 14, 2011

Quilt art in sari silk

One of the things I love about creating is the instant satisfaction and creative high I feel when I make something beautiful! 

Mitzi & I went to one class at the International Quilt festival. She is a quilter and I am not (yet!), so we found a class we could both enjoy. I am now in love with Thai silk scraps! This project involved 3 techniques; couching, applique, & spiraling.
It looks complicated, but if you can sew a straight stitch you can make this piece.


These are 4"squares. The wonderful thing about silk is that you don't worry about raveling.
The strings are part of the charm.

This is 80 yards of silk "strings" about 1/2 inch wide.

Couching is simply twisting the silk string while zigzagging over the top.

The silk is backed with interfacing, cut into flowers shapes and stitched on with either a straight stitch or zigzag.
Two layers of stitching looks the best.

These machines were quilt and smooth! I have an almost 20 year old machine...
I think I am now in the market for a new one:)
I did all the applique flowers first and then added the spirals to the center.

To create a spiral flower you open the silk string and straight stitch down the center of the fabric.

The most difficult part is starting in the tiny middle.
You work around and around the circle until you have the desired size flower.
I did not want to stop! The next morning I left my bed unmade, stayed in my pj's,
and didn't do one other thing until I had finished my project:)

I am going to have this framed for my scrapbooking & sewing studio.
I love the colors. It just makes me smile!


You can buy these skeins of Thai silk Sari ribbon at
www.leilaniarts.net

1 comment:

  1. I surfed around and saw this post today. (yes, long after you posted it.) I love the photos (and silk)!

    Here are some quilt images I am sharing this week:
    http://jeanneselep.blogspot.com/2013/11/quilt-exhibit-part-2.html

    ReplyDelete