Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Peanut Butter Bars

I know not everyone loves peanut butter, but I don't know any of those people:)
I grew up getting a tiny jar of peanut butter in my stocking, and eating peanut butter by the spoonful! This recipe has been around since my children were small. 
It has a really wonderful texture and an even better taste!
Sometimes I add chocolate chips to the dough. Sometimes I top the bars with the yummy peanut butter icing and sometimes I use my chocolate fudge icing recipe. No matter what these bars are always a crowd pleaser!








Peanut Butter Bars
1/2 c white sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c butter
1/2 cup peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp butter flavoring


Mix well then add the following:
1 cup flour
1 cup quick oats
1/2 tsp soda
1/8 tsp salt


Bake @ 400 in an 8x8 pan for 20-25 minutes.
I usually double recipe and bake in a 9x13 pan this requires a few more minutes in the oven. I take the bars out when they look slightly under done so they will be more moist.


Peanut Butter Icing
1/4 c butter
1/2 peanut butter
1/4 c milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar


If you just have to have some chocolate then this icing recipe is fabulous on these bars!


Chocolate Fudge Icing
1/2 c butter
4 Tbsp cocoa
6 Tbsp milk


Bring to a boil then pour over
2 cups powdered sugar







1 comment:

  1. These are so delicious! I think I just got a craving;)

    ReplyDelete