Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Brick by Brick

While we were renovating Nellie's Cottage I was determined to use every single thing I could find on the property in a creative way. When I was a little girl my grandparents had a brick patio on the side of their house. Mama Nellie had dozens of plants in pots that she carefully tended and gave away to any visitor who expressed a love of plants!
Time had buried the bricks under about 4 inches of dirt and grass but I knew they were still there, so with the help of my trusty yard muscle Matt, & Remington, We dug up every brick, and washed, yes washed each one!
These bricks would have been acquired by trade by my Papa Albert. He was a carpenter, home builder and they did not waste a thing back then...hummm what can we learn?






I found two round cement lids on the property from some long ago abandoned ground tanks which became the center for my idea. I wanted to create a center pieces to anchor the landscape design.


These bricks would have been acquired by trade by my Papa Albert. He was a carpenter, home builder and they did not waste a thing back then...hummm what can we learn? Bricks were cemented around the circle in two rows. We carefully laid the brick to alternate colors and add in the rare ones evenly. 





After the circles were complete I had enough brick to create a path around the side and also create a border for the landscaping in the front.





I chose the best brick to be part of the porch! 
Some say Acme, Houston, & Beaumont.



I still have vintage patio furniture on my wish list however,
I must admit I am pleased with the way this project turned out:)

And the best part?
I still have some brick to create with in the future!













No comments:

Post a Comment