Saturday, January 17, 2015

San Jacinto Biscuits


We serve these at the cottage with my homemade raspberry freezer jam!
As I was rolling these biscuits this morning I explained to Michael that you mustn't over handle the dough or the biscuits would be tough. I further explained that southern women who love to bake take great pride in a perfect biscuit! He replied "So then all of your self worth is tied to a biscuit?" MEN! I calmly replied no but it would have been more important back in Nellie's time when the homemaking arts were more valued. This was all said to a British man who doesn't really appreciate & love southern biscuits, so I was really just throwing my biscuits at the wall - so to speak;) Anyway here is a Texan recipe from the Monument Inn by our famous San Jacinto monument, which by the way is taller than the Washington monument:) We really are insufferable... aren't we?! There was a great battle over Texas fought there and as you see won! 

My favorite recipe book is the one in my mom's handwriting!
Couple of biscuit tips:
Do not over handle the dough
Roll dough about 3/4-1 inch thick
Option-Use half shortening and half butter
Our baking preference is only 9-10 min, slightly golden

 p.s. Left over biscuits are super delicious in the toaster, so don't be afraid of making too many:)

p.p.s. Enjoy this post about Nellie's magical biscuit bowl!
https://nelliescottageretreat.blogspot.com/2014/07/nellies-magical-biscuit-bowl.html

2 comments:

  1. Those San Jacinto Inn biscuits were pretty great, and I'm sure yours are too. http://houstonhistorymagazine.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/V4-N2-Oliveira-San-Jac-Inn.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! All good southern women should have a wardrobe of biscuit recipes!

    ReplyDelete