Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Just add legs...a scrapbook furniture re-do

In keeping with my rule to never turn down free furniture...I also rarely get rid of any furniture and only after I am sure there is nothing I can do to remake and re-purpose said furniture. This is one of those pieces. Built by my favorite uncle and given to me as a wedding gift in 1982, this chest was originally stained 80's colonial brown. It has held everything from blankets to paint ball guns! My daughter in law Janene painted it black with distressed edges in 2011 which was a major update! 


True to my ever decorating form... I saw a new vision for this piece when I began pulling together my scrapbook space which is in my bedroom. First, I wanted the chest raised for easier access. Rummaging around in my scrap wood pile yielded these spindles taken out of a previous house entry way...remember the 70's half wall/spindle thing? Michael cut them in half for the perfect height, for me that is:)


Metallic antique gold paint was the perfect color for my decor. I wanted the piece to blend in rather than be a focal point. It took 3 coats to cover the black. I should have sanded between the coats, but being impatient to be done I declined. Caution: this leads to less than a smooth surface!


Feeling a bit fancy I added pearl flourishes on the corners, straight from the scrapbook isle at Hobby Lobby! A coat of modpodge went over them after they fell off a few times.


I am pleased with the result. It blends into the curtain backdrop perfectly. The "new" piece houses scrapbook kits and albums in the making. It also serves as a cricut station.

These french doors are never used which adds another "wall' for my scrapbook space.
I am in love with neutral metallics of any description, my bedrooom/scrapbook space is chocolate brown, grey metallic, gold metallic, cream & taupe....a fabulous combination, calm and classy!




No comments:

Post a Comment