Thursday, May 21, 2015

Make your own sunshine!


You know those days that are less than sunny, when everything is annoying at best and unbearable at worst? This is the product of a few of those days. I began soothing the "storm" by glittering everything I could find:) As I glittered I came across these chipboard and wooden scalloped circles in my stash. An idea was born! One canvas, chalk paint, ribbon, a cricut session, and a whole lot of glitter later this is my stormy day reminder to be my own sunshine. My craft room decor is colorful and whimsical which is perfect for this piece of gloomy day banishing art work!


I began with blue chalk paint on a 16x20 canvas. Next 3 different colors of blue ink were layered with my favorite flourish stamp.

Wooden & chipboard circles were covered with wash tape.


Wooden scalloped circles from a FabScraps kit were covered in sunshine colored glitter.

These fun orange circles were covered in orange ink, then topped with crystal lacquer giving them a wet look finish.

 The largest circle became the anchor for laying out the ribbon in "rays" around 3 sides of the circle.



If I was doing this again, I would use hot glue for instant dry time. It was hard to wait for the tacky glue to dry so the project could be completed!

A piece of copper cardstock became the center and base of the sun.

The most fun part of this project was creating the sun with the glitter, washi tape and lacquer circles:) I laid them out, took a picture, and then was able to put the sun back together fairly close to the preview, glueing each piece as it was placed. Again I would use a glue gun instead of tacky adhesive for an instant bond.


The ribbon was originally glued on the back, however it wasn't tight enough to the canvas so I peeled it off the back and stapled each piece...must better option!


Pinterest was searched for a sunshine quote that spoke to my heart...this was the winner! Thanks to my circuit design space I was able to cut all of these words at once. Lay the words out before adhering...always a good idea! The letters and words were run through my Xyron adhesive machine, adhered to the canvas and then covered with artist matte medium, which is better than mod-podge.



No comments:

Post a Comment