Saturday, May 9, 2015

Queens and angel's wings

A couple of weeks ago I went on a "glitter blitz" rounding up every single chipboard embellishment I could find in my scrapbook stash! My favorite were these angel wings & crowns from a grunge board set by Tim Holtz. An idea began to spark about something I could create for my girls for Mother's Day.

I used Tim Holtz distressed glitter, which I absolutely am in love with! The distressed glitter has both a glittery and a velvety finish. The angel wings are done in pumice stone, the crowns in either tarnished brass or antique linen. I keep shopping for more distressed glitter :-) 
While I was a glittering the wings and the crowns I started thinking about Mother's Day, angels and queens. I searched online for quotes that could include both queens and angels but couldn't find what was in my heart, so I began to jot down ideas as they came to my mind. I sent them to my girls to see what they thought and they each picked a favorite quote. 

On with the project...
Hubby was recruited to paint my canvas boards a metallic antique gold. I then used Stays On metallic silver ink and my favorite large scroll stamp to create a more interesting background. 



A happy design accident occurred when the wings curled a bit with the glue. I am a big fan of dimension! A sharpie was used to write the quotes...yes in my own imperfect handwriting! You should try it sometime. The most precious writings I have are from my dad and grandmother Nellie who are no longer with us..maybe someday my writing will be as valuable:)

These are my sayings...






I really want young mother's to really know that being a mother is more important than being a queen. Being a queen means leading with confidence, however the most beloved queens in history were also kind, compassionate and caring. Mothering is hard, sometimes thankless, and certainly not applauded by the world. Looking back on the years with our children in my care I know that some days I was only a queen, maybe even a bit of a wicked queen. I do hope they can remember those times was when I was an angel. There is a bit of queen and angel in all of us, may we all mother those around us who need mothering because as the song declares..."what the world needs now is love sweet love, it's the only thing that there's just too little of"

No comments:

Post a Comment