Monday, February 1, 2016

Roses & the wooden heart


I am on a mission to condense the crafting hoard living inside my closets and attic. Creating holiday decorations will help with with this resolution quest. A roses & heart creation is the first of many projects on my agenda this year.


 An old wooden heart originally cut by Michael for our clinic sign (Heart of Texas Family Medicine) was the base for an idea. Since I can't bear to throw such things away it languished in my craft closet for 5 years. Rescued and painted red it became the perfect base for the ultimate Valentine!


I rounded up every pink, red and even mauve rose from my extensive silk flower hoard in the attic (some are 20 years old from my 90's flower arrangements!) I then laid them out on the heart to see if my creative vision could be achieved. Creative rule number 47-never glue before you are absolutely certain it is a good idea!


The design trick to these kinds of projects is random placement of various flowers so a pattern isn't obvious. I began from the bottom with the largest flowers and finished with the tiniest rose buds on the edges and in the empty spots. Some of these roses are from a son's wedding, some hail from the 90's, some from other valentine projects, and a some from the hubby for a semester of all A's! It was the cutest gift...Michael came home from work with a huge bag of silk flowers of every variety. I hadn't the foggiest of what I would do with all of them, but they have all been used in something! 


Besides a silk flower hoard, I also have a ribbon and trim hoard:) This pink trim left over from a Sister Bear (Berenstain bears) Halloween costume was the perfect finishing touch. There was exactly enough plus a half inch!


I love the texture of the velvet, silk and paper roses. This reminds me of a beautiful box of chocolates...without the calories:)


The finished creation hangs in the inside of my front door adding Valentine cheer for this rose loving girl!


No comments:

Post a Comment