Monday, September 19, 2016

Mason jars and autumn decor

The idea for my fall tablescape began with a 4ft wooden trough, which is the perfect length for our dining room table. Michael didn't even originally build it for this purpose... I am lucky in design that way:) My autumn decor has had a bit of a make over this year with the addition of creamy pumpkins and sunflowers, and turquoise added to each vignette and display. Our southeast Texas fall is sadly lacking in the deep reds, oranges and golds, so those colors of my decor stash will live in the attic until Thanksgiving time. Truthfully this "make-over" was really just an excuse to buy a few creamy white pumpkins!



Mason jars are the bomb! My 90 year old Aunt Betty recently called me to come pick up a dozen boxes of jars in her attic. I was pleased to be the recipient of such a gift...who doesn't need more mason jars? As a result of this delightful windfall, the jar design fairy has been spinning ideas in my head for each holiday and season. Fall is arriving many places in the world (although not my corner) so the first mason jar project was for my fall table. 

Step 1. Blue chalk paint (Hobby Lobby) in escape blue was brushed with a fairly think coat on the entire mason jar.


Step 2 was "dry brushing" a metallic gold in imperfect strokes over the entire jar. "Dry brushing" is simply putting very little paint on the paint brush and lightly and quickly brushing the object till desired coverage, while letting the last color layer who through.


Step 3 in this mason jar make-over was "dry brushing" an Inka gold metallic rub in "smokey blue" over the gold paint, again only brushing quickly and lightly so that the original blue and gold can be seen. I love the effect from a layered dry brush finish! The metallic rub is meant to be polished to a sheen when dry. 


Setting a seasonal or holiday table is like layering clothing for a great outfit....just keep adding layers till it looks right and don't make it too matchy-matchy like the 80's!
I began with copper vinyl leaf placemats, grey round straw mats, brown textured chargers, turquoise plates, pale blue salad plates, gold and grey floral napkins with a red & gold jeweled napkin rings for the place settings. Vintage gold glasses that belonged to my grandmother Nellie, and gold silverware hubby bought at an auction completed the settings. 
A burlap runner was placed in the center of the table under the wooden trough. The newly painted mason jars, gold berry garland, and finally the white sunflowers and pumpkins were arranged in the trough and then......I stood back and smiled and took pictures and smiled and took some more pictures! I found myself taking the "long way" around to the kitchen from my bedroom every single time just to admire my table again:)










After all this decorating effort (it's such a burden, haha) a dinner party was on the agenda for Michael's birthday. It's fun to mix up the company for different dynamics, and to get to know others better! With that in mind we invited a different combination of friends to celebrate this festive occasion. I hired daughter Brittany to cater (which I highly recommend!) so I was able to relax and enjoy the night! 


Mississippi mud cake was served on this day for the 35th straight year. By the way...Mississippi mud cake recipe link at the bottom of this post...you are going to love me and hate me:)



Who knew that painting a few mason jars would lead to such an enjoyable night with friends celebrating the momentous occasion of a beloved husband?!?



Painted mason jars, white sunflowers and creamy pumpkins....and a happy fall to you!

Mississippi Mud cake
https://nelliescottageretreat.blogspot.com/2011/09/never-tired-of-that-mississippi-mud.html

No comments:

Post a Comment