Friday, September 16, 2016

Painting pumpkins and my fall mantle

I love re-doing, re-making, and mixing up the decor every few years! These paper mache pumpkins were practically begging for a new make-over. Orange is good...but at my house teal and turquoise are better:)


Chalk craft paint in "escape" blue (Hobby Lobby) was the first transformation step. I did want a bit of the orange to peak through so I "dry brushed"--very little paint on your brush with quick strokes all with the idea of a distressed look. 


After the chalk paint was dry (very quickly) I then "dry brushed" Inka gold metallic rub from Viva in "smokey blue". These metallic rubs are a great last finish on any project!  


The whole reason for painting these pumpkins was for this mantle display...I could see it, therefore I needed to do it:) I wanted this years fall decor to be a bit lighter, less orange and red like deep fall, which makes more sense in my southeast Texas pine tree laden fall! The velvet pumpkins (Hobby Lobby), metal pears (Tuesday Morning), and mini wooden pumpkins were perfect companions for my newly painted turquoise beauties.


Every seasonal mantle display revolves around our newest family photo (December 2015)....everything else on this mantle is an accessory! Here in this photo lies my heart, my efforts, my deepest joy, my time, and my greatest accomplishment.


The fall floral arrangements are a new creation for this year. Found the buckets in the garden center of a local building supply, the field sunflowers came from a local wholesale florist, and I already had the wheat and grasses! Again, I am "lightening" up this early fall decor. In my attic are beautiful autumn red and gold arrangements that will show up in November.


I wanted a banner or garland of some kind to finish the mantle off so I used this great hemp bullion trim which is actually for some lamps upstairs:) Next year I will make a banner...or maybe I will buy different trim for those lamps!




Oh how my turquoise tile bowl can make me smile:) This is has a permanent home on the coffee table. A find at Tuesday Morning years ago...it keeps surviving the grandchildren...so far!


And there you have it...my fall mantle which began by painting a few pumpkins:)




2 comments: