Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Hello Spring...in foil, glitter & paper flowers

"The day the Lord created hope was 
probably the same day he create Spring." 
Bern Williams
Oh how I love spring! New green leaves are unfolding, a cool breeze is blowing through my open doors, and happy gentle sunshine all lend to a renewed sense of hope in my soul!  I am celebrating by crafting and creating springtime decor.


I googled "black and white spring quotes" and found a simple "hello spring", perfect for my project idea. If you type in just "spring quotes", most images will have colored backgrounds with additional images as part of a ready to print graphic. 
Look for free images without water marks.


Saving an image to downloads is my favorite method for temporary images to be deleted later. FYI-The heat reactive foil ONLY works with toner printing. I have a Brother HL-L2340DW which is only for monochromatic printing. 



Pink and mint green heat reactive foil is perfect for spring projects. My Heidi Swapp minc machine is a favorite fancy project helper:)




The machine and foil stash reside in this vintage suitcase, which was another creative project with collage art. (link below)












https://nelliescottageretreat.blogspot.com/2016/04/vintage-suitcase-art.html

I love the way light plays with heat reactive foil! This is actually mint green but appears as multi-colored watercolor style image.


As a thrifty crafter, I find ways to use any negative image. There was about a 5x7 piece of mint green foil with "hello spring' left from the image above begging to make something pretty:)...so white cardstock was cut roughly the same size as the negative foil image.


The card stock was run through the Xyron adhesive machine...a must have! Heat reactive foil must have an adhesive to stick to, this method is my favorite. There are other options is you look on google, but I have had the best success with Xyron adhesive.


The foil image was laid on the sticky side of the card stock, then edges were trimmed.


The card stock exposed letters are still sticky with the process. A flock or glitter is perfect to sprinkle on the letters. Tim Holtz distressed glitter is my favorite! It has a both a velvety and glittery finish. This pale blue is called "Tumbled Glass." 


I tend to create in "batches" so when I pull out my minc machine several projects are on the agenda:)


As most crafters, I have a "hoard' of many items including old frames which are perfect for seasonal or holiday decor. An 8x10 frame was spray painted with an aqua called "seaside" gloss.


The frame was a bit bright for what I had in mind so Inka Gold metallic rub in a creamy white was added to the fame with a cloth. It added a bit of textural interest and toned down the aqua.


Prima flowers are always on my radar when shopping clearance at Hobby Lobby, Tuesday Morning, etc. I simply LOVE all Prima flowers! And yes, I "hoard" those too:)


An old green linen picture mat was a "find" in my frame stash and perfect for the foil print. Random paper flowers were literally dumped on my bed surrounding the framed piece and the flower "tweaking" began! 


After the flower arrangement reached the sweet spot, they were hot glued to the mat and frame. Then the entire framed art piece was sprayed with this clear sealer. I like to seal these types of seasonal art projects as they usually sit on my kitchen counter. 


After the project was complete I noticed the "hello spring" didn't show up from a modest distance so the letters were outlined with a .08 black pen. Next time I will outline the letters before the glitter is added since I probably ruined the pen!


And just like that a new crafty project adds a bit of spring ambiance added to my kitchen!



"Let your joy burst forth like flowers in the spring!"



"It is spring again. 
The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart"                   Rainer Maria Rilke



p.s. After writing this post noticing the "hello spring" still did not show up well enough, I traced the letters with a medium sharpie...it's a crafting evolution. Like I say to "creatively stuck" retreaters at Nellie's Cottage, "This is crafting, not an English paper...it doesn't have to be perfect!





Hello Spring.....again:)

No comments:

Post a Comment